The Comfort Ability provides a wide range of resources and services to help you and your family.
Books specifically about Sickle Cell Pain can be found here.
Parenting Books for Pain Management
- Coakley, R. (2016). When Your Child Hurts: Effective Strategies to Increase Comfort, Reduce Stress, and Break the Cycle of Chronic Pain. New Haven, CT. Yale University Press: New Haven, CT. For more information, click here.
- Diamond, S., & Diamond, A. (2010). Headache and Your Child: The Complete Guide to Understanding and Treating Migraine and Other Headaches in Children and Adolescents. Simon and Schuster.
- Olivia-Hemker, M., Ziring, D., & Bousvaros, A. (2010). Your Child with Inflammatory Bowel Disease: A Family Guide for Caregiving. Baltimore, MD: The Johns Hopkins University Press.
- Levy, J. (2004). My Tummy Hurts: A Complete Guide to Understanding and Treating Your Child's Stomachaches. Simon and Schuster.
Parenting Books for General Stress Management
- Greenland, S. K. (2010). The Mindful Child. New York, NY: Free Press, a Division of Simon & Schuster, Inc.
- Pincus, D. B. (2012). Growing Up Brave: Expert Strategies for Helping Your Child Overcome Fear, Stress, and Anxiety. Hachette Digital, Inc.
- Rapee, R. M., Wignall, A., Spence, S. H., Cobham, V., & Lyneham, H. (2008). Helping Your Anxious Child: A Step-by-Step Guide for Parents. Oakland, CA: New Harbinger Publications, Inc.
Books for Children (ages 4-11): General Stress Management
- Shapiro, L. E. & Sprague, R. K. (2009). The relaxation & stress reduction workbook for kids: Help for children to cope with stress, anxiety & transitions. Oakland, CA: Instant Help Books, a Division of New Harbinger Publications, Inc.
- Huebner, D., & Matthews, B. (2005). What To Do When You Worry Too Much: A Kid's Guide To Overcoming Anxiety. Washington, DC: Magination Press, A Division of American Psychological Foundation.
Books for Adolescents (ages 12-17): General Stress Management
- Tompkins, M. & Martinze, K. (2010). My Anxious Mind: A Teen’s Guide to Managing Anxiety and Panic. Washington DC, Magination Press.
- Schab, L. M. (2008). The Anxiety Workbook for Teens: Activities to Help you Deal with Anxiety & Worry. Oakland, CA: Instant Help Books, a Division of New Harbinger Publications, Inc.